Many believe Fremantle should have taken home the AFL Women’s premiership.
Not Collingwood star Chloe Molloy.
The 2020 AFLW season was called to a premature end on Sunday as coronavirus fears gripped the game, with Carlton, North Melbourne, Fremantle and Melbourne still in contention.
No premier was named.
Relive classic AFL matches from the 60s to today on KAYO SPORTS. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly
The Dockers were undefeated but had not played Carlton or Melbourne this season.
And the 2018 AFLW Rising Star believes the Dockers’ draw – particularly early in the season – could be considered an advantage that meant they weren’t worthy to take out any mathematical flag had it been awarded.
“Fremantle didn’t leave Perth for the first three weeks of the fixture,” Molloy said on Fox Footy Live.
“The fixture just worked in their favour and they’ve gone 7-0 and I’d just be so intrigued as to how the last two rounds played out because they were going to play Melbourne and Carlton and I just don’t think they would have the undefeated title that they’re hanging onto right now.
“But the season is what it is and they’ve gone 7-0, so good on them.”
Vescio: Why I’m glad no AFLW premier was crowned
Blues coach ‘devastated’ by AFLW call
Fremantle star Ebony Antonio lashed the league on Twitter after chief executive Gillon McLachlan made the announcement on Sunday evening, declaring there had been “no leadership”.
For Molloy, Carlton – which finished runner-up in 2019 – had been the strongest team.
“Taking the Collingwood hat off, I think Carlton for me,” she said.
“I honestly thought they were probably going to go all the way through and win it if we had have had a finals and a grand final, but the what-ifs are a killer.
“Carlton were the team of the year to me, despite us beating them.”
CONCUSSION FORCES PIE INTO RETIREMENT
Collingwood women’s player Emma Grant has called time on her playing career after months of being plagued by concussion effects.
Grant, 30, sustained the concussion in a practice match before the AFL Women’s season and did not play in the Magpies’ 2020 campaign as she battled debilitating symptoms.
The former Pies vice-captain had previously detailed her struggles with headaches, confusion and dizziness.
She has only returned to driving this week – nine weeks after the incident – and continues to receive treatment, which she said must now take priority over football.
“I can’t thank the club enough for the past four years and making my football dream a reality,” Grant, who played 20 AFLW games since 2017, said.
“Growing up in the country, playing football with the boys was the only option. I never thought I would get the opportunity to play for an AFL club in a women’s national competition. To know all girls have a pathway from Auskick through to AFLW is amazing.
“In the end I made the decision to put my health first. I have cherished every moment of my football career and appreciate the fact I have played the game for as long as I have.”